Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Christ is Love



Look at this picture and tell me the gospel isn't about love. Why else would someone do this for us?

I have been thinking a lot about how the gospel is portrayed to those who don't know the Lord, as well as how it is portrayed to those who are dechurched and I haven't been pleased with the message that is coming across.

I came across a post on my friend's blog. It's amazing. Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did. It says a lot of what I've been thinking and he says it so eloquently.

Let me know what you think and your thoughts on the whole topic. It has been on my mind and in my heart so much lately. I have so many friends that have left the church and my desire is to find a way to undue the damage that has been done to them by the church, which caused them to leave. I believe loving them is the first step and letting them know that Jesus wants them to be happy in the here and now, not just in the life to come.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post opened before the picture - so it had a huge huge impact on me. Indeed without love it wouldn't have happened.

So often we make it sweet flossy love, but this was sacrificial-to-the-core love and God help me, I sometimes forget just what a price was paid for me.

Thank you for the reminder.

wellis68 said...

Thank you so much for the reminder! I often get caught up in the beauty of jesus message and forget the sacrifice that culminates it all. Thank you!

Arthur Brokop II said...

When I saw the movie, the Passion of the Christ, the phrase, it's under the blood, came to mind and horrified me, for many people say it so flipantly, yet His sacrifice was...there is no word for it.
But I don't think that Jesus "wants us to be happy" he didn't got through that so that people who believed in him could be "happy" He wants us to be busy!
He wants us to be his hands and his feet and his voice in this dark and dying world. He didn't die to make life easier for his followers. It's not about JOY JOY JOY or LOVE LOVE LOVE...
Its about Truth. That bloody face is truth, not just a scarey story to get people to choose heaven instead of hell. Whats my point?
I'm not sure. Hell is real, and Heaven is a beautiful promise, but as long as we are here, we should be about Kingdom business...sharing our bread as well as the gospel...both!

Stephanie said...

Maryellen,

I completely agree with you. We need to be active in living out our faith. We need to be Jesus to other people, not just tell others who he was and who he is, which was my point. Jesus loved us so much that he died on the cross to save us. We need to love others in this world just as much, something that is hard at times, well most of the time to do. We need to be Jesus to those who are lost, those who believe, and to those who have heard and rejected. Thank you for making my point more clear and for sharing your heart.

IMO said...

I read Wes' post long ago and posted a link on my site. Unfortunatly most "don't get it". I don't see how they can "not" get it. It is VERY frustrating! I'm glad to hear someone "gets" it too! I have been facilitating a discussion on my site with which I just want to tear my hair out with all of the narrow minds out there. I feel that they see the "scripture" as words on a page and they do not "see" the picture that you posted. UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!