Saturday, August 19, 2017

Big Smiles

This morning I was blessed with getting to talk to my B-fry for longer than we've talked in awhile. She just started her first year of teaching first grade and it was so fun to catch up with her and hear how everything is going and how my niece and nephew did during their first week back to school. Even with as long as we were able to talk, I still feel like there is so much we didn't get a chance to catch up on, however it started off the morning with a wonderful smile and a little pep in my step. Hoping we can see each other soon.

So, after the phone call, something that NEVER happens happened today.

I don't typically enjoy shopping for myself because I'm just too stinking critical of everything I shop for and how it looks on me, even with shoes. However, I LOVE shopping for my kids. But....despite my love for shopping for them, I often struggle with finding good shoes for them.

I have a theory about this. My first theory is that part of it is that they are either both in a pretty common shoe size OR a very uncommon shoe size and so there are never really any shoes in their size available when I go to look. My second theory is that the quality in shoes has gone majorly downhill and I don't know if it's simply because it's just happened or if companies are trying to make more money off of us, so they use cheaper quality materials.

So, I dropped off Madison at gymnastics, knowing that Hudson and I were on a mission to go find shoes for both of them. We went to Nordstrom Rack and then the plan was to go to the Sketchers store as a back up if we needed to.

Well, I actually found FOUR pair of shoes at Nordstrom Rack that not only fit Hudson and were good quality, but he actually liked them too!!!!! #winning However, I told him that he could only pick three because on the off chance that his foot decides to grow I didn't want to have a million shoes I had to replace. So Hudson ended up with a pair of Aasics, Nikes and Sketchers. I also happened to find a pair of super cure Aasics shoes for Madison. I wanted to try to find at least one more pair for Madison, so we went next door to Sketchers....wow their shoes in the girls section are super loud, but I managed to find two pair and they have memory foam in them, which is super comfy. Their shoes were buy one get one half off, so it was great because both of them were on sale and then we received 50% off making one of the pairs only $14.

Afterwards, Hudson and I stopped at Bagel Bistro (don't worry, #teamstephanie stayed strong and didn't have a bagel). I wanted an iced tea and they have a GREAT Tropical Iced Tea and I don't like it sweetened, so it's a free treat. Hudson picked a tasty strawberry, banana non-dairy smoothie so that his tummy wasn't upset and then we picked out a smoothie to take to Madison.

When we arrived at gymnastics it was close to over, but after everyone left she had us come out and video a few things she had been working on because she wanted Alex to see them :) For those of you that don't know, back tucks have been a struggle for Madison because they are the first skill she every really got injured on and then developed a mental block. She's been working super hard to get past it and is almost there. The last thing she needs to conquer is just the standing back tuck on the floor....she's done it, but doesn't have it consistently, but she's gaining more confidence every day. So, these videos were a big deal today. She did a back tuck dismount off of the beam and a backbend to a back tuck. Then the final video I have is her working her giants on the strap bar.

So, here are her videos.....









So, I finished the day feeling accomplished with the shoes finds and Madison finished the day with feeling extra successful, resulting in BIG SMILES all around.

We topped off the evening with our family movie night. The kids had mini pizzas and I had broccoli salad, the last of the turkey meatballs, and bell peppers and hummus, while we watch Ferngully: The Last Rain Forest. It was okay, but if you have any movie night suggestions we're open to them. I think the kids have Chicken Little and The Goofy Movie on their short list, but would greatly appreciate suggestions!

No comments: