Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Tough Love

Today the kids and I had a lazy morning...it was glorious.

Both of the kids slept in, which gave me extra time for my quiet time (I'm going through a Beth Moore Study right now), some work, and some exercise.

Once I heard the kids stirring in their rooms, I made some Slique Tea to drink while I read a book that I've been trying to finish forever.....I actually love the book, but with the move, pre-deployment leave, work, and reading a few other books, I just haven't had time to sit-down and read it. Well, I still have to read the newest Nicholas Sparks book and so I'm hustling to plow through my current book, "A Man Called Ove." I'd also like to see the movie when it comes out. Which of my local friends want to go with me? I think it comes out early 2018....I don't know, but soon.

As the kids made their way out of their rooms, they brought their books too! :) Love when we all read together. Then, after a little bit, the kids began to play Uno....and this is where the tough love had to kick in. These kids, as much as they love each other, need to go back to school so that they can remember how much they love each other....LOL.

From about 8:30 until 5:00 I was constantly mediating and helping calm hurt feelings and bad moods, as well as trying to keep the every moving tornado under control and redirecting the kids. It seemed to never stop today. I had to separate them a few times, just for my own sanity and theirs too I believe. It's not normally this crazy for this long, this consistently in a day, but today they just were having trouble seeing the other person's point of view and were doing everything in their power, or so it seemed, to get under the other's skin. There were a lot of apologies and hugs given today. Praying tomorrow morning gets off to a better start.

In the midst of the craziness, Alex called, which is always a pleasant surprise. Alex has been so busy with work and will only get busier. There has already been a joke that he's the busiest guy on staff right now because a few things that have happened....he's not able to share the details, so I don't have much, I just know that on his first actual day of work during the deployment (this was after the unit they replaced left), he worked until about 1:30 in the morning the following day and then had to turn around and get up at 6 in order to go into work early. Phew!

During our conversation, one of his friends came in and helped him get his Filimin working, since their WiFi is a little different over there. It was so fun. He took some pictures for me of his and I took a picture of mine at the same time, so that you can see. They are so fun and I can't tell you how comforting it is to walk into my bedroom and see my side lit up with his color (his is the blue...mine is purple) and then to go over and touch it and watch it change to purple.



So, even though we had a crazy morning/afternoon, we had a wonderful evening, which was such a blessing...thank you to whoever was praying for our day to get better! 

Tonight for dinner, the kids helped finish up some of our left overs and had tacos. I had a protein shake, some carrots and greek yogurt dip, and about 2oz of chicken breast. I think most of you know this, but I'm pretty competitive, so I love that Alex and I are both working towards goals and seeing who can get there first. We haven't decided how we're going to decide who wins since we're working towards different types of goals, so measuring the success might be harder in comparison, but it motivates me nonetheless. 

So, on that note.....I'd love any and all whole 30 and paleo recipes that you LOVE and it's a plus if your kids love them too! Please share them either in the comments on this blog post or under this post on Facebook. I'd also love your thoughts on what the prize should be for the winner, as we're still discussing. 

After dinner, my parents came over to have a game night with us. We had so much fun. We played Uno, Otrio (if you don't have this game, but love games that make you strategize, you'll love this one...it's on clearance at Target right now actually), and then after Hudson went to bed we taught Madison how to play Monopoly (I forgot to take a picture of our Monopoly game)! She loved it!

Uno            Otrio

After game night, I walked into my room to see my Filimin had changed...first time I've seen this since we were playing with it earlier in the day...that means Alex is up and was getting ready for work and wanted me to know he was thinking of me. Have I mentioned how much I adore this man! He is seriously the BEST!!! I know it's only been a week, but I miss him something fierce and 9 months seems so long right now.....just being real. We are totally good on the day to day and I know that God has us, but when I think about the length we will be apart, sometimes it takes my breath away. However, I know that God will use this time to refine each of us and we will be stronger for it. 

Alright, off to bed....we have to be up bright and early tomorrow because the kids find out who their teachers will be for the new school year that starts next week. We have to be there at 7:30 to get our welcome packets, fill them out and then turn them in to get their class assignments. 

No comments: