Saturday, December 08, 2012

The Best Way to Spread Christmas Cheer Is Singing Loud for All to Hear

Today was another busy, but fun day!

We began the morning by getting ready for the Book Exchange/Potluck we were hosting at our park. We ran a couple of errands, baked some cookies, cut some veggies, made a dip, made Christmas tree shaped peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, wrapped books, and got ready.

I started doing the Christmas Book Exchange/Potluck back in 29 Palms. It was always so much fun that I wanted to continue on the tradition. This is the first year in San Diego that we've done it, not sure why, just is. I am so glad we did it though. It's always fun to get new books and the kids always have such a blast!

We headed to the park at 10:00 this morning for our little party. It was a small party (everyone is so busy this time of year, we were lucky to get the group together that we did). We all had a lot of fun, the kids especially. We all had lunch first. There was an assortment of yummy food: chicken nuggets, a delicious spinach, beet, walnut and goat cheese salad, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, a fruit salad, cookies, an amazing Christmas Tree Cake (that was baked from scratch), and a veggie platter. Once all of the kiddos were done with lunch we did the book exchange. Each child drew a number. Once everyone had their numbers we started with one and let each child pick a wrapped book out of the pile. After each child had their book, then they were allowed to unwrap their books. There were so many amazing books! Hudson and Madison LOVED their books (although somehow I forgot to get an actual picture of the kids with their books). Once the kiddos had opened their books they all went and played at the park for a little bit! Hudson was a tad bit crabby, so he never made it in any of the photos. :/



When we got back to the house, I put Hudson down for his nap and then Madison and I made a Gingerbread House. We love the fun Gingerbread Kits they have at Trader Joe's. Last year we made Gingerbread People, but this year I bought the Gingerbread House Kit. I helped Madison get the foundation going and then she did everything else. She did a great job and had sooooo much fun! It was nice to have a fun activity with just the two of us. We've been so busy lately, that we haven't had much just mommy and daughter time. I really enjoyed that hour of building and decorating! It was much needed and such a sweet time with my baby girl!


Last night should have been our pizza and movie night, but because we had the family craft night at church, I moved it to tonight. So, tonight we picked out TWO Christmas Movies (well, really one Christmas movie...Elf and then a short little 30 minute Christmas Veggie Tales cartoon). This actually worked out nicely because while the first little short film was playing I was able to get the pizza finished, so that I was actually able to sit down and enjoy the main event from start to finish with the kids! We watched Elf and while there are a few parts that I don't particularly care for the kids to see, they are easy enough to fast forward through and they don't take away from the story! We had a wonderful evening and it was nice to just snuggle up on the couch and relax watching a fun Christmas movie with my two kiddos!



 Hudson was being such a little ham tonight and I couldn't resist busting out my camera. He has gotten to where he knows I am going to take a picture and he poses and waits for me to take it. This was one of his cute poses that he held until he saw the flash go off! Love this kid!



No comments: