Sunday, September 10, 2017

Love Is a Choice...

Day 34.

Sunday, oh how I love Sundays, but they really do make me miss Alex that much more. I get a little more nostalgic as we head to church and then I proceed to take the kids to their class and find my seat in the sanctuary. I don't mind sitting by myself, but again, it exaggerates  that Alex isn't here right now (any of my local friends, if you ever want to go to church with us, I wouldn't object). I will say though that, rightly or wrongly, these (deployments and times apart) are the times I draw nearest to God. I feel His presence ever so much more and feel covered by His peace and steadfast love. I am often asked, how we do it. How we continue to live a military life knowing that deployments are a possibility and that they entail. Well, God is how. His new mercies every morning and his unending grace. He binds us even closer together despite our distance being so far apart and it's like He puts blinders on us and we just keep moving forward. Really, there's no other choice. It's a calling that has been put on our lives and we have chosen to embrace it and to make the most of every day and every opportunity. Oh how we love this country! So, please don't pity us, even though it's hard to understand, we count it an honor to serve in this way. We might have our hard days, but that's where grace comes in and the reminder that we aren't perfect, but actually we're not called to be perfect. Sometimes we are overcome with emotion, but that's just because God has filled our hearts to overflowing and sometimes it comes out in tears, other times in laughter. Often we are tired, but God gives us strength to keep going. At times, we are lonely, but those are the times that God steps in and fills that void, either with His presence or with the people He's surrounded us with (my sweet friends and family, you know who you are). And it is through all of this that God continually grows our faith and binds our hearts even closer to His and to Alex's. So, even though it's Sunday and I miss Alex terribly, I choose Joy because I have no reason not to! Love never fails. Perfect love casts out fear. Love is a choice.

Anyway, the kids and I had a great time at church and then we came home and were able to talk with Alex for a little bit before he went to bed. While Alex was on the phone with us, I prepped everything and made Chicken Noodle Soup in the Instant Pot. I took my homemade recipe and used a trick my friend Amy sent me with timing and which settings to use and pulled a couple tips from another recipe and ended up making a successful batch of Chicken Noodle Soup. We had a late lunch, but it was tasty and ready impressively quick.


The rest of the day was pretty laid back and peaceful. We watched the Angel Game and then we played some games and made silly videos with the the boomerang and reverse functions....the kids were having fun trying to see how could make the silliest looking video. I posted the compilation on Facebook a little while ago, so that you could see it. 

The kids went to bed a little while ago and I've been juts following up with some emails, prepping for my upcoming week (I'm teaching 2 classes), working on content for product education, and getting welcome gifts together for all of my new teammates. 

I never ended up getting to read last night...so tonight I will read for a little bit. I'm about half way through my book and enjoying it, but it's not feeling like a Nicolas Sparks book yet...it seems a tad more jaded than his other books. I'm also reading a couple personal growth books and I'm really enjoying those as well. I alternate what I read each night, but try to read at least one chapter from each book each day.  

Praying for everyone were the hurricanes, floods and fires are. I have friends in all of those areas and their families are there too. Please pray with me that damage would be minimal. 


No comments: