Thursday, September 07, 2017

My First InstantPot Recipe and Some Wisdom From Ann!!!

Day 31.

We're rocking and rolling over here!

I had a fun day volunteering at the school. I started out in Hudson's classroom and enjoyed having the children come read their books to me and helping them decode and use clues to strengthen and build upon their reading foundation. I also was able to help with a little behind the scenes homework prep for the next few weeks. I love being able to make life a bit easier for my kids' teachers. I know how much work goes into "being on" each day and sometimes at the end of the day you want to be able to just go home and have a small break from it all before having to "be on" the next day and so it is such a blessing that both teachers are allowing me to be in the classroom this year and genuinely enjoy and want the help. After helping in Hudson's class, I popped over to Madison's classroom and her teacher and a bunch of fun behind the scenes type stuff for me to do. I always love when the teacher says, don't worry I don't expect all of this to get finished today, and I'm able to surprise them and finish it with the timeframe I have for the day. Today was one of those days.

Once I was home (around 12:15), I worked for a little bit and then I was able to talk to Alex for a little bit and then when he went to bed, I worked some more (I had a class tonight and I had to just get my posts and videos in order).

When I checked the mail, the sweet book that Madison had given me an Amazon gift card for, had arrived. IT'S GORGEOUS. I took pictures so you could get a taste of just how beautiful it truly is:

     


After we arrived back home, the kids got right to work on their homework and I started trying to figure out dinner because my ground beef hadn't quite thawed like I had wanted it to, but then I remembered I had this new InstantPot that everyone says works miracles, so I decided to look on pinterest and see if there was a recipe for taco meat for the InstantPot....and what do you know, there was! I followed it and was super impressed and the kids and LOVED the way the meat turned out. 
So, I sautéed the onions and garlic with a little olive oil and seasonings, then I added the ground beef and browned. Next, I put the lid on and put on the manual setting for 15 minutes and then did quick release. The taco meat was so tender and the flavor was out of this world. YUM! Best part was, not only did the kids wipe their plates clean, the pot was SOOOOOOO EASY TO CLEAN!!!



Today was a GREAT day and I wanted to share something with you that I've seen a few different places and every time I read it, it touches my heart. Ann Voscamp wrote this and I copied it for you so that you could read it too and be touched by her words of wisdom. 

Today, it's Ann Voskamp's turn to stir hope to us all, in her powerful words:
"1. Today, even if everything goes wrong, love is always right. There is ridiculous hope in this.
2. Today, the only thing that has to be written in stone is when to pray. We will just pray at set times & make our home a house of prayer. What else really matters?
3. Today, there are no emergencies. Life is a GIFT -- not an emergency! Only amateurs hurry. So: Say yes to one game every day and laugh loud. No empty-nest mama looks around and wishes she did one more load of laundry.
4. Today, when stress mounts, I pray to dismount it with gratitude. My stress management plan will be simple: all stress will have an intervention of giving thanks for one thing out loud. I can only feel one feeling at a time, and I choose to give thanks at all times.
5. Today, I will pray to speak words that make souls stronger. Grace is the only non-toxic air.
6. Today, I will pray to just be: Consistently consistent. Make rhythms, live routines, wear good habits. Do the same thing at the same time every day -- and you kinda change your life.
7. Today, THIS: The moment when I am most repelled by a child’s behavior, that is my sign to draw the very closest to that child.
8. Today, I will hug each of my children as many times as I serve them meals — because children’s hearts feed on touch. I’ll look for as many opportunities to touch my children today as possible — the taller they are, the more so.
Whenever I want to throw hands up, I'll throw them around someone instead. Holding someone always helps holds things together.
9. Love is a roof.
Be a shelter, a safe place, just be a roof for your people today.
10. Today, I will laugh! And I will create a culture of JOY! The only life worth living is a scandalous one: scandalous love, offensive mercy, foolish faith. Let joy live loud in your soul."
For. The. Love. 
It is well.

Praying y'all have a lovely evening! 

No comments: