Saturday, September 02, 2017

Oak Glen, Keeping Busy!

Day 26.

This is our 4th Saturday without my love and I knew we needed to plan something fun because this weekend is Labor Day weekend...traditionally when people spend time with their family and often times go out of town. Weekends can already tend to feel long, so I wanted to be sure this weekend was fun and not full of empty time.

I had heard back in July that Oak Glen opens their Apple Farms Labor Day weekend, so I planned for us to go today. I saw that the temperatures were suppose to be cooler too, so I thought my parents might like to join us, and they did, plus they've never been apple picking before.


So my parents came over  in the morning and we headed out the land of apples. The kids and I had a chance right before we left to talk to Alex briefly before a work meeting and then just as we were leaving the house he was able to call back and we all (including my parents) got to say hi quickly before we left the driveway.

  

We were super lucky when we arrived because we found a GREAT parking spot right near all of the darling little shops and most importantly, the candy shop. We had so much fun browsing that shop in particular. :)

         


After we looked at the first set of stores, we headed to Apple Annie's to get in line to be seated for lunch. We had some great food and enjoyed the view out of our window....there were live peacocks and beautiful apple trees. Then, once we had finished our meal, we went next door and looked at their pastries. I did splurge and had one of their little apple burritos....it was so good.


After lunch, the kids decided on icecream as their special treat. Then strolled around the grounds for a little bit and took some fun pictures in the cute little set ups they had.


While we were strolling around the fun shops and boutiques that were set up, we decided to go into the petting zoo. The kids really enjoyed seeing and petting all of the animals.


Once we finished up in the petting zoo, we decided we were ready to head to one of the apple farms and pick some apples. We ended up gong to Los Rios Farm and picked Gala Apples. They also had Spartan apples, but after sampling each of them, the kids decided they wanted Gala Apples. We had a great time, but I always feel like the picking of the apples goes too quickly. We came home with a nice size bag of apples...I believe about 5 lbs worth and then we also each had an ice cold apple cider when we came back down the hill. 






We had a great time and were so grateful to be out of the heat of the desert for a few hours. There was a nice breeze and for the most part it stayed in the 80s while we were gone. Once we were back, the kids played for a little bit and I caught up on some work things that I missed while I was gone (first few days of the month are always crazy, but so much fun). Then,  for movie night tonight we watched the movie my friends sent us earlier in the week. We watch Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The kids really enjoyed it. Hudson did not remember that we'd watched it together before, but awhile ago...I think actually while we were in Charlottesville. The kids also enjoyed some of the popcorn and sour patch kids she sent. :) 

After the kids went to bed, I was starting to work on this post and a new friend I've made through work messaged me and we were talked for a little bit and it's just so neat how God brings people into your life out of nowhere. This sweet friend lives in New York, and we met in some of our business Facebook pages, but only recently really connected. AND, it's such a small world, she is married to a former Marine. Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know her better and staying on this amazing journey we're both on with leading our teams and striving to help others. 

As we finished our conversation and I was beginning to work on this post again, Alex was able to message me before having to head into work, so we talked for a little bit. Then the internet started acting up and we weren't able to communicate because it kept freezing, so we had to say good-bye, but it was such a joy getting to have a little bit of a longer time to chat with him. 

It is now 11:00 and I am going to go work on reading another chapter in my book before I go to bed because I keep getting side-tracked and haven't really even started my book that I keep saying I'm going to read. So, I am going to try to make it a goal to read at least one chapter a day so that I can read it, since I know I will love it. 


Oh and today when I checked the mail I had a sweet card from my friend Jen. It was such a touching card filled with so much love and thoughtfulness. Thank you Jen!

No comments: